5 March 2014

Estonian summer traditions

A small town in central Estonia called Viljandi is a town where I was born. Viljandi is about a two hour drive from the capital Tallinn and part of Mulgimaa. That’s why deep down in my roots I guess I am a true “Mulk”. 


My memories about Viljandi are quite limited because I moved away from there at a young age. The way I have gotten to know this town is through short visits and driving through to my families traditional Estonian summer cottage. This wonderful little cottage is literally in the middle of nowhere, but this is what true Estonia is for me. Peace and quiet between fields and forests, not to forget about the real wooden sauna and a swim in a lake Võrtsjärv




Summer cottages, or as some people like to refer to them country houses, are an important part of Estonian summer. Majority of families escape the hectic city life to the country side during the summer months. One of the biggest happenings of the summer is “Jaanipäev  at the end of June. In my family, the tradition is to spend it in the country side just enjoying each others company, sauna, swim in the lake not to forget about “saslõkk”, which is a marinated pieces of pork traditionally cooked on an open fire. All this represents the perfect Estonian summer for me!